What is a storage device ? This question may have come in the mind of many at some time or the other, but even after searching a lot, detailed information is not available anywhere in Hindi, due to which many people know what the Data Storage Device is and how many types it has. There is no complete information about it.
As its name suggests, these are some such devices (devices) that are used to store data or information digitally.
They are also alternatively known as digital storage, storage media, storage medium or storage device. These are some such hardware devices that store data or information digitally and that too Temporarily or Permanently. Their main purpose is to store the data.
If we talk about computers, then these data storage are such places that store the data in electromagnetic and optical form so that the computer processor can easily access these data when needed .
Then without delay let us know what is this storage device and what are their types.
What is a storage device?
As I’ve already mentioned the Storage Devices do termporarily or permanently store the data, which is called and according to need the information. They store data digitally.
The storage device used in computers is mainly of two types.
1. Primary Storage Device
2. Secondary Storage Device
Here if I talk about Primary Storage Device in Hindi, then their memory is temporary, or which is also called volatile. With this they have limited memory.
For example, RAM .
If I talk about Secondary Storage Device in Hindi, then their memory is permanent. With this, they can store large amounts of data.
For example Hard Drives.
Why Secondary Storage Devices are more used?
Secondary storage devices are used more because:
1. The memory (RAM) of primary storage is volatile and temporary . As soon as the computer is turned off, all the data which is in RAM also gets erased.
2. Secondary storage devices store very large amounts of data and instructions permanently, where primary memory has a very small capacity to store data.
3. A special feature of secondary storage is that it can be removable, internal, and external storage as well.
Local Storage Types
1. External Hard Drive
This is similar to those hard drives that have been installed in your desktop computer and Laptops. The main difference in them is that you can plug them into the computer, or you can remove them and or you can also keep them separate from the main computer.
It is mainly found in two sizes:
Desktop External Hard drive: which is about 3.5 inch and used in desktop computers.
Portable External Hard drive: which is about 2.5 inch and used in Laptops.
Desktop External Hard Drives are often cheaper as compared to Portable External Hard Drives based on the same storage space. With this, they are also faster and stronger than Portable External Hard Drives .
Capacity: Their capacities range from 160GB to 3TB (approx 3000GB).
Connection: It connects the computer via USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 connection. With this , it is also available in SATA or eSATA connector.
1. This is a very good option for local backups where there is large amounts of data.
2. This is the cheapest option for storage if we talk about dollars per GB . Also if it is very reliable if it correctly handle it should be.
1. It is very delicate. It can be very easily damaged if it is dropped somewhere or below the voltage of electricity.
2. Solid State Drive (SSD)
Solid State Drives are very similar in appearance and working like traditional mechanical / magnetic hard drives. But internally, it is completely different.
There are no moving parts or rotating platers in them. They solely depend on semiconductors and electronics for data storage which makes it more reliable and robust than traditional magnetic hard drive .
Due to the lack of moving parts here, they use less power than traditional hard drives and work very fast.
As we know that the price of Solid State Drives is getting reduced day by day and due to its lower power usage, SSD’s are being used in laptops and mobile devices in large quantities nowadays. With this, External SSD’s are a very good option for data backups.
Capacity : 64GB to 256GB
Connections : USB 2.0/3.0 and SATA
1. It reads and writes very Faster.
2. It is more robust and reliable compared to traditional magnetic hard drives
3. It is highly portable. So it can be easily transported from one place to another.
1. It is more expensive than traditional hard drives.
2. Storage space in it is also very less compared to traditional magnetic hard drives.
3. Network Attached Storage (NAS)
If we talk about NAS , it is simply a collection of one or more regular IDE or SATA hard drives that are plugged into an array storage enclosure and connected to a network router or hub with an Ethernet port. Through this.
Some NAS enclosures have ventilating fans that provide protection against hard drives from overheating.
1. This is a very good option especially for local backups for networks and small businesses.
2. Since a lot of hard drives can be plugged in, NAS can store a huge amount of data.
3. It is implemented with Redundancy (RAID) which increases its reliability, read and write performance. NAS can function even if you use any RAID level even if a hard drive fails in RAID .
With this, two hard drives can be setup so that it can double the read and write speed of a single hard drive.
4. Here the drive is connected with the network at all times and is also available with it which makes NAS a good option to implement automated scheduled backups.
1. It is much more expensive than a single External Hard Drives.
2. It is also not portable at all, so that it takes a lot of trouble to get it. So that it is always at risk from fence, fire and theft.
4. USB Thumb Drive Or Flash Drive
These are very similar except for Solid State Drives, their size is only the smallest and with this their capacity. There are no moving parts in them, they make them more robust.
These are very portable so that they can also be fitted in any keychain . This is most ideal for those who have to backup small amounts of data and move it around.
Capacity : 4GB to 64GB
1. It is a very good portable storage option. It can be placed in a very small space, which makes it more portable.
2. It is much stronger than traditional magnetic hard drives.
It is relatively more expensive per GB, so they are used only to store less data.
5. Optical Drive (CD/ DVD)
CD’s and DVD’s are an ideal option to store songs, movies, media or software that you can use to distribute or give to your friends, as it is of very low cost per disk. . It can never be a great storage options for backups as they have much shorter lifespan, less storage space and slower read and write speeds.
Capacity CD: 650MB to 900MB
Capacity DVD: 4.7GB to 17.08GB
This is very low cost per disk
1. They are less lifespan than other storage options
2. With this they are not as reliable as other storage options like external hard disk and SSD. Once they are damaged, they cannot be backed up a second time .
Remote Storage Options
6. Cloud Storage
Cloud storage is a storage space that is used in a commercial data center that can be operated from any computer that has Internet access.
These are usually provided by the service provider. A limited storage space is provided for free, whereas for more space you may have to pay a subscription fee. Examples of such service providers are Amazon S3, Google Drive, Sky Drive etc.
This is a very good offsite backup. It is not affected by any external causes such as theft, floods, fire.
1. It is more expensive than traditional external hard drives. Often, you have to subscribe for more space.
2. It requires an Internet connection to access cloud storage.
3. They are much slower than other local backups.
What did you learn today
I sincerely hope that I have asked you what is a storage device and how many variants are there? Gave full information about and I hope you guys have understood about Storage Device.
What is a Storage Device and how many types.What is a Storage Device and how many types.What is a Storage Device and how many types.
- Free fire and pubg should banned in bangladesh - August 20, 2021
- Top Captcha site Entry Job Sites Best Online Typing Jobs - August 4, 2021
- Windows 11 new features Windows 11 official coming - June 24, 2021